Tuesday, September 29, 2009

a dying profession.


I must have had this conversation a dozen times.

Yes, I am well aware that print journalism is a "dying profession."
Yes, I know that newspapers are dwindling, folding and professionals foresee drastic changes in the near future.
Yes, I know that nobody likes to read newspapers and most people don't trust the media in general.
Yes, I know that it may seem pointless to trust a reporter to present an objective article.


Yes, I know all of these things, and about any other journalism-related question you may have to throw at me.

But to me, journalism is more than a Jayson Blair, a Stephen Glass.
To me, journalism is an "All the President's Men." It's a New York Times since 1913.

It's why I have every class besides New Testament in the BRMB (aka Communications building).
It's why the tips of my fingers are always black.
It's what I have dedicated the past six years of my life to, and most likely the rest of life.
It's the first thing I think about when I wake up, and usually the last thing I think about before I go to bed (relatively).

I have woken up at 7 a.m., ran out the door in my pajamas, just to pick up a hard copy of the DU and double-check everything. Yes, newspaper is my life right now, but I wouldn't change it.

I love doing something that I think is important, that I can get involved in. Something that is constantly challenging and stretching my mind; a job where I learn at least one new thing a day on a program I have been using for years.

I may be getting a degree in something that's dying, but it's something that matters to me. and hopefully, your kids.

2 comments:

  1. hhmmmm....

    what i admire is that you don't care what anyone (including myself) has said about your dying profession and you're doing it because you love it.

    ReplyDelete