Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ah-maze-ing.


BYU has this awesome museum, the Museum of Art, to be exact.
They have this incredible exhibit called the Carl Bloch exhibit, and if you haven't been, you definitely need to go. It is amazing.

Kyle and I went on a date night during opening week, and just yesterday I took my adorable Activity Day Girls, ages 8-11, to see the exhibit. I know I'm kinda a crybaby and all, but Carl Bloch's paintings have touched me each time I have gone.

Beautiful! What an amazing artist.

Carl Bloch is a painter from the 19th century and he painted over 250 paintings in Europe, many of which still stand in the original altars and chapels they were designed for. For this exhibit, BYU had several of these paintings shipped over to be displayed in the MOA for a period of time. Amazing, yes?!

This painting is almost more than life-size in it's original form at the MOA. So gorgeous. I've never, ever seen a painting like this. Here is an angel comforting the Savior as he suffers in the Garden. Such a moving painting.


Even more amazing than that is the paintings themselves. Carl Bloch painted the life of Christ in original, surprising and simply breathtaking ways.

Quite possibly my favorite painting, but I say that at each painting. I love how you can see the grief and despair, but then the rising light as Christ enters the room.

Not so hot of a photo, but all we had was an iPhone! Maybe next time we'll take a cute date pic.


No comments:

Post a Comment